Dining Room Lighting Tips
Lighting the dining room can be a tricky task. Often people put up a chandelier and assume their lighting work is done. Follow these tips to create the perfect lighting combination for your dining room.
- Hang the chandelier so that the bottom hits approximately 30 inches above your table. Too low and it will interrupt conversation among your guests. Too high and no one will appreciate it.
- Install a dimmer if possible. The light from a chandelier can mimic candlelight when dimmed. Install sconces. The light is subtle yet will keep the entire room well lit. You want to avoid a table that is lit when the rest of the room is dark. Sconces will stop this look from happening.
- Candlestick lamps on a sideboard also help light flow throughout the room while keeping the space from appearing too bright. Hurricanes with tall candlesticks also can create this look.
- Hang mirrors strategically in the room to keep the low light bouncing around the space.
- Lastly, Never underestimate the effect of candles on the table.
While a chandelier is a beautiful feature of most dining rooms, more is necessary to create the ambiance that one would want at the dinner table.